Wednesday, July 28, 2010

day 29: you've got mail

The supplies have arrived! Everything that I was waiting for in order to complete processing the Riggs family papers was ready and waiting for me today. I temporarily put the Mount Vernon collection on hold while I worked on finishing the rest of the Riggs collection.

First I transferred the over sized folders into the correct sized box. I finished labeling each folder and entered the information into Archivists' Toolkit and printed out and attached the label to the box.

Next, I started working out how I would process the glass plate negatives. I discovered it wasn't practical to label the outside envelope because the material was too soft. Instead I labeled the 4 flap envelopes after the glass plate was covered before sliding them carefully inside the outer envelope. I started putting the plates into slim boxes with cardboard sheets to separate each one. As I was carefully stacking them inside the boxes I also entered them into Archivists' Toolkit. It seemed more efficient to do multiple steps at once. I did take my time because I was working on so many aspects of processing at once. I didn't want to enter in duplicate or incorrect data.

I think I should be able to complete everything for the Riggs family papers by tomorrow afternoon, which will be very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment