Thursday, June 3, 2010

day 11: it continues

Today I discovered that I had only two boxes of documents from the Riggs Family papers left to sort. Of course these boxes had the most numerous and varied documents which means they will take the most time and consideration to process. Initially Jen and I had discussed processing each box as they were already organized. Just simply re-folder and box the documents. However, we realized continuing a series outside of the subseries would be really messy in the finding aid and confusing for researchers. Instead, we decided that I would keep each folder organized as it was given to us but separate each folder within corresponding subseries. I spent the remainder of today reviewing each folder and determining the placement of each.

Initially I had suggested 5 subseries within the Paper documents series for the Riggs Family papers: Correspondences, Travel, Diaries, Personal Billing, and Publications and Research. With only 2 boxes left, I realized there was only one legal sized folder that contained all the travel documents I had found thus far. One folder is not nearly enough for its own subseries and box. I decided to remove Travel as a category and included the folder in personal billing. I now have 4 subseries and I informed Jen of my findings and alteration to my processing plan. She agreed with my idea and I am very pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment