Wednesday, June 30, 2010

day 22: database monkey

Today Jen taught me how to use rapid data entry in Archivists' Toolkit. This option is incredibly useful and a huge time saver. It allows me to "sticky" certain fields which saves the information in that field for an unlimited amount of time. I decide when the information changes and how. Every time I select +1 there are only a few options I have to change and it goes quickly.

I'm going to be entering a lot of data for a while. I managed to enter 7 boxes that each contain 60-70 folders. The reason I was able to enter so many in a short period of time was because the folders were already numbered. I have ten boxes that are numbered and all the rest are not. I think it'll be a nice break however. My eyes were getting tired from looking back and forth from the box and folders to the monitor. It'll be welcomed to write box and folder numbers on each before having to enter it into AT. I'm looking forward to learning more about this application as I continue to use it for the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment