Friday, June 4, 2010

day 12: these are the documents that never end

Today I continued reviewing the folders and documents inside the final two boxes. I completed most of the first box, with the exception of a few items I have questions about. I have been compiling a small box of books, pictures, and documents that I'm not sure how to process or where to include within the series. When I finish processing the majority of documents, my plan is to bring the box to Jen in order to review the items inside and discuss various options with her. I figure asking her all at once will take up less of her time and make it simpler for me to receive help.

Occasionally I ask questions along the way. Today I came across an envelope that I could read about 90% of the heading. The handwriting on the envelope grew progressively worse as the person was writing so that by the end, I had no idea what the documents were used for. I knew they were deeds to land and to which land. However, I couldn't read the what these were used for. I brought it to Jen's attention. I know that down the road I will encounter more documents that I will not be able to read and I wanted to hear her suggestions.

Jen said that often it is difficult to read handwriting, especially from older documents. She suggested I make a photocopy of the envelope and include it in the folder with the documents. We created a brief title for the folder stating "Deeds referenced for research" and I made a note on the folder to include notes in the finding aid about the legibility issue I encountered and a copy of the front of the envelope. That way I'm not taking anything away from the documents in the collection and maintaining the preservation of the collection.

Jen also informed me there is a local workshop being offered that will instruct how to read/decipher handwriting from old documents. It sounds really interesting! These are classes I hope to investigate and enroll in once I obtain my Masters degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment