Wednesday, June 2, 2010

day 10: sorting

Today I picked a box and started separating the documents that were mixed around inside. In one box I found documents that fulfilled three of the subseries categories that I had determined for the collection; travel, publications and research, and personal business. I flattened the papers and created three piles. After I finished organizing, I labeled folders and transferred the material to archival boxes. I have a few more items left in the box that I need further direction from Jen before processing.

I think the trickiest part of today was determining the folder titles. Some of the documents were easily grouped together as the donation had been previously, although quickly, arranged and labeled. I used the labels provided but occasionally added more detail, such as date and author/family member it pertained to. I need to be more confident in my work and I think after reviewing what I did today with Jen will assist in building my confidence as an archivist.

No comments:

Post a Comment