Tuesday, June 22, 2010

day 18: for the finding aid

Today I began preparing the collection scope and content notes for the guide to the Riggs Family papers. I referenced the Special Collections Staff Wiki which was created by the staff at the SCRC for assistance and reference for interns and employees.

Also using the existing guide to the Riggs Family papers, I started a rough draft of the abstract, collection scope and content, and collection inventory for the collection I've been processing during the past few months. I'm more than half way done with my rough draft. I have to finish describing the subseries of series 3. I tried finding an example of a finding aid that included a subseries to reference but so far haven't found one. Most of the collections I have been selecting from the SCRC website have been small and wouldn't require a subseries, but I will ask Jen tomorrow for an example.

I've found that a lot of the information is repeated throughout the finding aid, which according to the Wiki is on purpose. I'm not entirely sure why information is presented numerous times throughout one finding aid, but I'd imagine it would be helpful for researchers to continue reading forward and not have to reference previous pages or take notes on the finding aid. It should be a helpful tool and not an additional item to research.

No comments:

Post a Comment