Tuesday, June 15, 2010

day 16: photos for hire

Since I won't be able to make phase boxes until Thursday, I decided to leave series 3 until then and start working on series 1. Series 1 contains photographs and albums from the early 1900s and during World War II. I measured the large albums and matte prints in order to use the best size box and folder for processing.

Jen and I ventured downstairs to explore the archives and look for new boxes to use. We found a good haul and brought them back upstairs. I lined each box with tissue paper before placing an album inside each box. I placed each large matted picture in its own folder that will eventually be placed in a flat box (more have to be ordered). The photographs that I placed in photo sleeves last Thursday I processed into folders and boxes.

On my way into the SCRC this afternoon I noticed there were multiple researchers using various collections in the reading room. During my internship this spring there hadn't been anyone in the room, which I felt discouraged by. I had envisioned archives being a place where many researchers would want to utilize the collections. However, this summer the room has been bustling with many researchers every day! It's exciting to see the documents and work that other archivists had spent the time to organize and process being used and referenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment